Girls sexually assaulted in Union venues

12.12.2012

Last weekend two cases of indecent assault on female students were reported on campus. Both incidents took place in the Union.

Around 4am on Saturday 1 December, police were called to a report of indecent assault on a 20-year-old woman. A Leeds graduate was accused of groping the female student in Fruity. The man was arrested and has been issued with an adult caution.

The second incident occurred in Terrace the following evening, when a female student from the University of Sheffield claimed a male Leeds Met student groped her as she stood at the bar. The man has since been barred from the Union building indefinitely.

Both events were acted upon quickly and were formally reported by the Union’s security team.

A spokesperson for LUU said: “The Union has a zero tolerance policy against all forms of sexual harassment and anybody thought to be behaving inappropriately in this way will have immediate action taken against them.”

A female student at the University gave Leeds Student her opinion: “This kind of thing happens all the time at student nights. A lot of girls are just too scared or embarrassed to report it.”

Katie Siddall, the Union’s Welfare Officer, commented:

“I am extremely disappointed to hear about these incidents, and pass my apologies and sympathy onto the victims involved.”

She continued: “Next term, I will be running a Sexual Assault Awareness Campaign to further strengthen the zero tolerance messages and make efforts towards eliminating this unacceptable behaviour.”

“I would encourage anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault to seek support, if needed. The Student Advice Centre within the Union is there to confidentially support all students and advice is also available online through Help@Leeds.”

Words: Ellie Parkes
Image: Leo Garbutt