Film | Freeview Flicks of the Week (05–12/08)

Photograph: Ronald Grant Archive

Photograph: Ronald Grant Archive

There’s always a wide selection of great films available on Freeview. And seeing as staying in is the new going out, TV presents the ideal opportunity to catch up on what you might have missed in the cinema. Plus, it saves you spending your student loan on DVDs and rentals. Sometimes the choice can be quite overwhelming, so here at Leeds Student we’ve decided to compile a weekly list of the best films on TV. This week, we feature a couple of quirky modern comedies, bloodthirsty cannibalism and Brad Pitt getting punched in the ear.

Monday – Super (Film4 23:40)

If you enjoyed Kick-Ass (as featured in last week’s selection), you will probably adore Super. With similar themes throughout, this quirky film follows Frank (Rainn Wilson, who you probably know as Dwight Schrute from The Office) who becomes a superhero when his wife leaves him after a drug relapse. This is a great alternative superhero film with loveable characters. It’ll make you chuckle and leave you open-mouthed in shock.

Tuesday – Hannibal (ITV2 22:00)

Although no film about Hannibal Lecter could better the wonderful Silence Of The Lambs, Ridley Scott’s stab with Hannibal makes the best attempt yet. This sequel follows Lecter in America some ten years after the original. The story is thrilling with a fantastic performance from Hopkins, one of the greatest actors of our time. Make sure to also check out NBC’s grungy series of the same name, which has received rave reviews.

Wednesday – Fight Club (ITV4 22:00)

If you have not seen Fight Club already you have a lot to answer for; it really is a modern classic. This intense psychological thriller twists and turns out of control leaving you clinging to the edge of your seat. Outstanding performances abound, particularly from Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. It’s dark, smart, stylish and jaw dropping: a must watch. If the rain’s keeping you inside then I also recommend Studio Ghibli’s wonderful The Cat Returns (Film4, 11:00).

Thursday – L.A. Confidential (ITV4 22:00)

Although this film flopped at the box office, it later became a mainstream classic of the 1990s. The storyline may be challenging, but if you stick with it you will be rewarded with a riveting and thrilling ending, I promise. Also, consider recording the brutal and revolutionary Battleship Potemkin (Film4, 02:20).

Friday – Little Miss Sunshine (More4 21:00)

In 2006, Little Miss Sunshine rolled onto the scene and surprised the box office and critics alike. This charming indie film will work its way into your heart with ease and keep you laughing the whole way through. It is nigh on impossible not to fall for the crazy family, especially Abigail Breslin’s character who is extremely well written.

Saturday – Choke (Film4 00:30)

Based on a novel written by Chuck Palahniuk, who also wrote Fight Club, Choke is an intriguing character study of a sex-addicted con-man. Directed by Clark Gregg, best known as Agent Coulson from Marvel films, this film oozes with dark humour. It’s a burst of infectious entertainment with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell.

Sunday – The King of Comedy (Film4 01:10)

Due to the massive popularity of Raging Bull, this Scorsese and De Niro team-up is often forgotten about and underrated. But don’t be fooled by its title, The King of Comedy is no joke. It’s a tale of kidnapping and a serious study of society’s obsession with celebrities. It takes black comedy to extreme lengths, meaning it could alienate some, but stick with it because it impresses and entertains.

Emily Murray