Sport | Go Pro – Support your local teams

As the epicentre of Yorkshire, Leeds is fortunately home to several elite sports teams varying in size, stature and reputation, each and every one epitomising the Yorkshire heart and spirit.

Leeds United

Brian McDermott’s first full season in charge is being met with unprecedented levels of optimism and an opening game attendance of 30,000 shows how much this once decorated team means to the city. The new owners are keen to engage with the local community and have recently introduced a new student bracket with tickets starting from just £16.

Home fixtures: v Bournemouth 1st Oct v Birmingham 20th Oct v Yeovil 2nd Nov v Middlesbrough 23rd Nov

Leeds Rhinos

One of the major forces of rugby league, the Leeds Rhinos have won five of the last six Grand Finals and boast one of the most passionate and committed fan bases in England. The team epitomises the Yorkshire passion and grit, and provide a great night of entertainment at Headingley stadium. The new season starts in February and is certainly not to be missed.

Leeds Carnegie RUFC

An ever present in the National Championship, Stuart Lancaster’s previous stomping ground is in encouraging the growth of the union code across Yorkshire. They have developed current England internationals Danny Care and Tom Palmer and are expected to compete for promotion in the forthcoming season with the addition of five academy prospects from their much heralded youth setup. They ground share with Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Stadium and offer a cheap yet entertaining alternative for any sports enthusiast with tickets costing £5.

Home fixtures: v Ealing Trailfinders 4th Oct v Gala 20th Oct v London Welsh 3rd Nov v Rotherham Titans 10th Nov Yorkshire C.C.C.

The home county of Ashes winning captain Michael Vaughan, Yorkshire C.C.C. provides local first class cricket and is also a hot bed for national team talent with Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow and Tim Bresnan all representing England in various formats this summer.

Yorkshire Jets

Yorkshire Jets are one of eight teams in the Netball Superleague. Playing in the state-of-the art Netball Arena at Leeds Met’s Headingley Campus, the Superleague season commences in February. Unlike other sports team in the Superleague the Yorkshire Jets play primarily with home grown Yorkshire talent, including Leeds students Amy and Lauren Potter.

Yorkshire Rams American football’s popularity is booming, and the Rams are central to this. Consisting of GBinternationals, they play at Leeds Corinthians Rugby Club, Middleton. Their season starts in April.