News | Rugby Coach Attacks Student

By / 5 years ago / News / No Comments
News | Rugby Coach Attacks Student

Leeds University Rugby coach Hugh Gumbs assaulted a student in Warehouse last Wednesday, LS can reveal.

According to friends the attack on the victim, who plays for the Union’s Men’s Football Team (LUUMAFC), was unprovoked. LS understands that Gumbs left Warehouse immediately after the incident, where he was with the team for their first BUCS Wednesday social of the year. The team was celebrating after two wins against the University of Newcastle and the University of Northumbria earlier that day.

A source close to the victim disclosed that the student is planning on pressing charges. They added: “my friend is one of the most placid guys I know and he was head butted for no reason.” When contacted the victim declined to comment.

According to an insider, the rugby team “has been told to be quiet and they’re sticking to it”, adding, “even the alumni have been given the message.”

Gumbs was not present at the rugby men’s 1st match against the University of Durham on Wednesday.

The coach, who has been with the club for several years, is resigning. Patrick Craig, Sports Development Manager, stated: “ I can confirm that one of our rugby coaches has resigned, due to ill health, and is no longer under contract to Leeds University Union.”

During his tenure Gumbs led the Gryphons to victory at Varsity two years in a row.

Carina Derhalli