Food | The alternative guide to Shrove Tuesday

Picture the scene: it’s March the fourth and you’ve invited all your mates round for an evening of stuffing your faces with underdone Yorkshire pudding mix, doused in whatever you can scavenge from the back of the communal cupboard. But wait, you remember at the last minute that one of your friends is wheat intolerant and another has been vegan since Beyoncé made it cool, not to mention the health freak who constantly preaches about ‘eating clean’ and ‘getting the glow’ (usually when you’re mid-chocolate bar).

Well, fear not. LSi is here to help you avoid the inevitable pitfalls of this gluttonous holiday and make sure you host the perfect pancake party.

1. The Wheat-Free Warriorwheat warrior

Although the prospect of preparing a traditionally flour-based dish for someone who can’t eat wheat may seem an impossible task, it can be easier (and more delicious) than you may think with these banana and Nutella pancakes:

1. Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk

2. Add a large, ripe mashed banana to the mixture and stir with 1/8 teaspoon baking powder

3. Cook over a low heat, flip and serve with Nutella or chocolate spread

2. The Health Nut

For the girl who follows every yoga poser on Instagram and is constantly tweeting pictures of various forms of green sludge with #eatclean, try this super-powered dessert:

1. Mix two eggs, a tablespoon of oats, one banana and some cinnamon in a food processor

2. Allow to rest in a fridge for ten minutes before frying in coconut oil on a medium heat

3. Serve with low-fat Greek yoghurt and honey

blueberry3. The Virtuous Vegan

How do you impress the person that makes Greenpeace look unethical? Try making these yummy pancakes; the almond milk makes them naturally sweet, and they’re ideal when topped with blueberries:

1. Mix one cup of white flour with two teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 of a teaspoon baking soda

2. In a separate bowl, mix one and a half cups of almond milk with two tablespoons of lemon juice (it should curdle slightly)

3. Add the milk and juice mixture to the dry ingredients, making sure not to over-stir

4. Cook over a medium heat, and top with blueberries (or for extra brownie points, seasonal fruits)

4. The Savoury Saviour

I first tried this combination on a French exchange, and am still convinced that it is the closest to heaven (and a heart attack) you can achieve in a frying pan. Designed to satisfy those born without a sweet tooth and prove that pancakes aren’t just for pudding:

1. Whisk 100g of plain flour with two large eggs, a pinch of salt and 300ml of milk in a bowl

2. Cook on a medium height until golden, making sure to spread the mixture thinly, similarly to a crêpe

3. Before removing from the pan, arrange slices of Brie (or Camembert) and cooked lardons in a spiral on top of the pancake

4. Leave for two minutes, or until the Brie is partially melted… enjoy!

Sarah Weir