TV |Freeview Flicks of the week – Schindler's List, Billy Elliot and Milk

There’s always a wide selection of great films available on Freeview, and seeing as staying in is the new going out, TV presents the ideal opportunity to catch up on what you might have missed in the cinema. Sometimes the choice can be quite overwhelming, so here at Leeds Student we’ve decided to compile a weekly list of the best films on TV. This week we hang out with Russell Brand, remember WWII and learn to dance!

MONDAY – Forgetting Sarah Marshall (ITV2 22:00)

Nicholas Stoller is a big name in American comedy being the man responsible for most recently the screen hits of Five-Year Engagement and Get Him to the Greek. It is his directorial debut though, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, that remains the funniest film of his career. It has a great cast including Mila Kunis and Jason Segal and even Russell Brand is a welcome presence as the hilarious Aldous Snow. This will cheer up your Monday night in!

TUESDAY – Billy Elliot (BBC4 21:00)

Billy Elliot is a classic story of a young boy torn between his love of dance and family problems that will never get old. Jamie Bell has grown up now into a handsome young actor starring in films from Tintin to Nymphomaniac, but it is in Billy Elliot that he really shines and steals out hearts. Honest, funny and touching, it is one of the great British films.

WEDNESDAY – Schindler’s List (ITV4 23:00)

Schindler’s List is one of those films that it is a must see in everyone’s lifetime. Directed by Steven Spielberg, this WWII drama is often called one of the greatest films of all time being powerful, astonishing and extremely well made. The acting is tremendous, but the story is really the best thing about this film fuelled by anger that will draw tears from your eyes.

THURSDAY – Shallow Grave (Film4 23:30)

Danny Boyle is always a favourite here with LSi’s Freeview Flicks, so it is no surprise this week we have another film of his, Shallow Grave. Made in 1994 it is his first feature film directorial debut, the film he made before the cult classic Trainspotting. Ewan McGregor and Christopher Eccleston star in this thriller about three flatmates who find their fourth flatmate dead but loaded with cash, which has a quirky and darkly comedic streak that makes it an intriguing watch.

FRIDAY – Coyote Ugly (ITV2 21:00)

Coyote Ugly is one of those films that receives mixed opinions from viewers and film critics alike. However, on a Friday night at nine this light-hearted bar flick is perfect with a takeout pizza, beer and friends. It may not have the best story line or acting, but it will make you feel good and is great to relive the stress of essay deadlines and dissertations.

SATURDAY – Milk (BBC2 23:30)

Director Gus Van Sant’s recent films like Promised Land have sadly not been great. It is a shame as some of his earlier works are fantastic, such as Milk, the story of Harvey Milk and his struggle to become California’s first openly gay elected official. Sean Penn is engaging and likeable as Milk, in this true story that will shock and horrify you to the end. Thankfully there is a comedic streak that makes it more enjoyable, but the film does not stray away from the serious issues that it deals with in a sensitive manner.

SUNDAY – Good Morning, Vietnam (Film4 21:00)

A comedy film about the Vietnam War sounds like a recipe for disaster, but director Barry Levinson has handled it delicately ensuring that although Good Morning Vietnam is a light-hearted, funny and entertaining film, it still attends the issues of war making it at times quite powerful. A pumping soundtrack, a great performance from Robin Williams and an unscripted story, makes this something quite special and perfect to end your weekend.

Emily Murray