Sport | Hamilton gains ground on Rosberg

Lewis Hamilton came out on top in a dramatic British Grand Prix at Silverstone. After qualifying in sixth place, the Mercedes driver managed to capitalise on the retirement of his team-mate and title rival Nico Rosberg to clinch victory at the circuit for the first time since 2008.

The race began dramatically when Kimi Räikkönen spun around after leaving the track. In the ensuing chaos, former team-mate Felipe Massa, now at Williams, collided with the Ferrari and both were forced to retire, while Hamilton had made it up to fourth. Following the crash, the safety car was brought out, which initially worked out well for Rosberg, who built up a clear lead. However, he began to experience gearbox problems, and Hamilton, despite an earlier slow pit-stop, began to reel him in. The German eventually succumbed to the problem, leaving Hamilton in the driving seat.

The other two winners of the day were Williams’ Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull. Bottas had started at 14 on the grid, but quickly made up ground in the early stages of the race to finish just behind Hamilton in second. Ricciardo also drove intelligently to go from eighth to third.

Räikkönen retired early on after a dramatic crash Image: BBC Sport

Räikkönen retired early on after a dramatic crash
Image: BBC Sport

Another interesting battle took place between Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. Alonso was on a one-stop strategy and passed Vettel as he was emerging from his final pit-stop. However, Vettel took the inside line in the latter stages and managed to oust his Spanish adversary. Jenson Button also achieved one of his best drives of the season, finishing fourth, with Vettel and Alonso coming fifth and sixth respectively. Kevin Magnussen was seventh and Nico Hulkenberg eighth, with Daniil Kyvat and Jean-Eric Vergne gaining rare top-10 finishes to make up the points positions.

With Hamilton closing the gap at the top of the standings to four points, the anticipation is building for the next leg of the calendar, in Hockenheim in two weeks’ time.

Alex Bowmer

Featured image: BBC Sport