Recon Festival returns to West Yorkshire

The multimedia festival Recon Festival is back on 18th – 29th after a successful debut last year.

This year Recon have booked some genuine legends from the international avant-garde music scene. On 26th the Teho Teardo & Einstürzende Neubauten man Blixa Bargeld bring their tour supporting 2013’s excellent Still Smiling to the Howard Assembly Room. Then on 28th drone pioneer Stephen O’Malley (Sunn O)), KTL)  brings a rare solo show and countless PAs to the Brudenell Social Club. The festival closes on 29th with a performance from J. Dilla’s Slum Village at the Belgrave Music Hall.

The festival also pay its dues to stalwarts of the Leeds underground with a 20th anniversary performance from Ashtray Navigations at the Hyde Park Picture House on the 28th and dub revolutionaries Sub Dub put on a party at the West Indian Centre on 27th.

There will also be performances from Owls, Shield Patterns, Juxtavoices, Richard Dawson, The Pheremoans, That Fucking Tank, James Yorkston, David Thomas Broughton, King Ayisoba, Blood Sport and more.

Three art installations will coincide with the festival featuring an Anand Patwardhan exhibition at Gallery II in the University of Bradford, The Grammar of Order from Tom Hopkins and Giulia Ricci at The Tetley and a music/art/neurology collaboration in the form of Frozen Music at Victoria Gardens outside Leeds Art Gallery.

The festival is also hosting film screenings of the Nick Cave pseudo-biographical 20,000 Days on Earth and a night dedicated to Mississippi Records featuring a self styled “live film/talk/slide show presentation” by label boss Eric Isaacson and a showcase of acts on the label.

The festival launches on the 18th September with a party at the Belgrave Music Hall hosted by Recon DJs.

Tickets for all the events are available here.