TV | Freeview Flicks of the Week – The Boat That Rocked, The Hours and Die Hard

Our weekly LSi best freeview flicks picks are here! This week we rock out on a boat in the 1960’s, fight a shape shifting alien and follow an undercover cop to the centre of a drug ring. 

TUESDAY – Source Code (Film4 23:05)

Directed by Duncan Jones, Source Code is the perfect blend of art-house and blockbuster, proving that big budget summer action hits can be intelligent. Jones played with our minds with his spectacular debut film Moon, but in Source Code he perfects the art of directing, producing an even slicker film.

WEDNESDAY – The Boat That Rocked (ITV4 23:00)

Richard Curtis is the king of British romantic comedies, but with The Boat That Rocked, he proved that he is the king of British comedy full stop. Telling the story of an illegal pirate radio station based on a boat in the 1960’s, it has the formula for success; a great story, a fabulous cast that includes Bill Nighy and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, a feel-good tone and a cracking soundtrack featuring some great 60’s hits. What more could you want from a Wednesday night?

THURSDAY – The Thing (ITV4 23:40)

John Carpenter was a man of many talents, being a screenwriter, producer, composer and, most famously, a film director commonly associated with the horror genre. His most famous film is probably The Thing, a 1982 horror classic about a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of people it kills. Strange, gross, creepy and terrifying, it is no wonder it became a horror classic.

FRIDAY – The Hours (ITV3 01:00)

Virginia Woolf’s novel, Mrs. Dalloway, is one of the most famous novels in the history of English literature. It is no wonder then that it has influenced the world of cinema. The Hours is the most successful cinematic project, examining how Mrs Dalloway has impacted three women, each from a different generation, who have all dealt with suicide in their lives. Not your usual Hollywood drama, it is a challenging watch that tackles difficult issues, making for an unusual yet absorbing film.

SATURDAY – Die Hard (E4 21:00)

Everyone probably has already seen this classic action film, and has also tried to forget about the most recent sequel which really did die hard. However, what better film is there to watch on a Saturday night than one which is essentially Bruce Willis versus German terrorists in a tower block at Christmas! Bring on the guns and explosions!

SUNDAY – The Guard (Film4 21:00)

Directed by Irishman John Michael McDonagh, The Guard is a stunning watch, in which Brendan Gleeson plays an unusual cop who is forced to work with an American to investigate a drug ring. Cue lots of dark humour, action, drama and great performances, making overall a truly wonderful film.

Emily Murray