Uni pledges £100m to attract top profs

By / 4 years ago / News / No Comments
Uni pledges £100m to attract top profs

The University has pledged to invest £100 million in its biggest ever recruitment drive.

The scheme will fund 250 fellowships for researchers to start a career in academics at Leeds. Successful applicants will pursue a five-year training programme leading to a position as associate professor, pursuing research and contributing to the development of students’ modules.

It is hoped the investment will allow research into ‘major global challenges’, including health, energy and sustainability.

The University’s Vice-Chancellor, Sir Alan Langlands said: ‘Leeds is making an unparalleled investment in new academic staff who will be given the opportunity to build strong, independent research portfolios and deliver innovative research-led teaching.

This will have a positive impact on the profile of research and student education at Leeds’.

Candidates must be an internationally-published researcher and hold a PhD in the relevant field.

Second-year Classics PhD candidate, Leonardo Costantini told The Gryphon: ‘£100m is undoubtedly a significant investment, but I think recruiting new academics is vital for a university in order to keep up with international research standards.’

The application deadline is 16th November, with the first hundred ‘great minds’ due to begin training at the start of the next academic year.

Valeria Popa