Divine Chocolate Mousse Cakes
Layering velvety mousse over rich, moist chocolate cake, there is no better way to indulge yourself this weekend.
- 3 large eggs
- 110g unsalted butter, diced
- 170g dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 65g granulated white sugar
- 90g chocolate (same warning as previous)
- 160ml single cream
- 10g granulated white sugar
- Mini marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease the pan with the butter and then line it with the parchment paper.
- Separate your eggs, putting the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
- In a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water, melt the butter and the chocolate together. Then put aside to cool before whisking in the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl with the egg whites, whip in the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Then, slowly add the granulated white sugar, still whisking the mix.
- Then gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter just until blended.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the cake is set, remove from the oven and leave to cool on wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pan of water, as before, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form. Then fold about a quarter of the mixture into the melted chocolate. Repeat in stages until all the cream is all mixed into the chocolate.
- Gently spoon the mousse onto each of the chocolate cupcakes and decorate as you please.
Don’t eat all at once, unless your chocolate tolerance is high – this is one for hard core cocoa addicts. Top with whatever you like, we like to lavish our chocolate mousse cakes with fluffy marshmallows.