Fresh Slice’s Salted Caramel Truffles
The perfect gift for your loved ones at Christmas. Surprisingly cheap, and quite simply delicious.
For the truffles
- 200g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 125ml cream
- 80g sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- For the coating
For the coating
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- A handful of sea salt
- Chop up the white chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl
- Place the sugar and water into a small saucepan over a medium high heat. Make sure the sugar forms an even layer across the bottom of the pan so it melts evenly. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash any sugar crystals off the side of the saucepan. Do not stir the sugar and water. If some of the sugar around the outside of the pan doesn’t seem to be melting, but the sugar underneath is, give the pan a gentle swill.
- Once the sugar is melted, let it bubble until it turns a golden brown colour. As the sugar starts to colour, swirl the saucepan periodically to distribute the colour throughout the pan. Once the sugar is golden brown, remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cream. Place the saucepan back onto a low heat and gently stir until the caramel has melted.
- Pour the hot mixture over the chopped white chocolate and stir. Add the salt and stir again.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, until the mix is solid.
- When the three hours are up, line a baking tray with baking paper. Take teaspoons of the ganache mixture and quickly roll into balls. Place the balls on the baking tray and put the tray into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering saucepan of water, and allow the chocolate to melt. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is smooth.
- Remove the ganache balls from the fridge and quickly coat them in dark chocolate by dipping the ganache ball into the bowl of melted chocolate.Allow any excess chocolate to drip off the ball and place the ball back on the baking tray.
- Place the balls back into the fridge for 5 minutes. Drizzle any extra dark chocolate over the tops of the balls and sprinkle with sea salt. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Image property of http://thecookspyjamas.com/