Freeview Flicks of the Week: Harry Potter, Meet Me in St Louis and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

In the Middle’s best weekly freeview flicks picks is here! This week we meet the Dark Lord and go salmon fishing in the Yemen.

TUESDAY – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (ITV1 19:30)

Every Christmas, ITV plays host to the world’s most magical series, the Harry Potter franchise of films. It is no surprise then that this Christmas, the channel is working its way through the series, and The Order of the Phoenix is one of the best. Who could forget Imelda Staunton’s featuring as an authoritarian bureaucrat clad in pink, or the dramatic face-off between Dumbledore and Voldemort? Easy to watch and thoroughly enjoyable, stay inside and wrap up warm with this film Tuesday night.

WEDNESDAY – Meet Me In St. Louis (Film4 16:10)

An often forgotten classic film that many have never experienced is the warm-hearted Meet Me in St Louis, which sees Judy Garland take centre stage. You will be soon singing along to ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’, which although written for this film has since become a staple Christmas song. Uplifting, charming and sweet, it will soon get you into the Christmas spirit.

THURSDAY – Rampart (Movie Mix 21:00)

Woody Harrelson may be currently scene-stealing in the Hunger Games film currently in cinemas, but he steals the whole film in Rampart. Harrelson plays Dave Brown, a veteran police officer who roams 1999’s Los Angeles. Brown is dark, miserable and corrupt, but strangely endearing. Although watching Rampart is not a pleasant experience, it is certainly an interesting and intriguing one that will take you by surprise.

FRIDAY – Gambit (Film4 11:00)

Escape from the cold with this fabulous old-school British comedy, Gambit. Forget the nonsensical modern adaptation with Colin Firth, and instead watch the original. Michael Caine is charming as a cat burglar who needs the help of a dancer to achieve the perfect crime, accompanied by a wonderful cast that includes Shirley MacLaine. Fun, modest, romantic and entertaining, it is a perfect escape from a morning frost.

SATURDAY – Iron Man (Film4 21:00)

Not everyone is a fan of the superhero genre, but it is impossible not to enjoy Jon Favreau’s 2008 heroic flick Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. has never been better as Tony Stark, a ‘genius, billionaire, playboy philanthropist’ in his own words, a role that seems to have been made for him. With superb action, hilarious comedy, tension and brilliant character dynamics, especially between Stark and Pepper, it is perfect for a Saturday night!

SUNDAY – Salmon Fishing In The Yemen (BBC2 20:00)

Let us be honest, the title of this film is drawing none of us in. However, this quirky film is nowhere near as bland as the title suggests. Ewan McGregor, with all his charm, plays a fish expert who is asked to help realize a sheik’s vision of bringing the sport of fly-fishing to the desert, an idea he initially dismisses but soon embraces. It is not going to blow anyone’s socks off, but it is just really lovely to watch and will make you smile throughout. Keep an eye out for Kristin Scott Thomas’ sheer brilliance!

Emily Murray

Image property of sky.com