Festive Freeview Flicks of the Week: Shrek, The Muppet Christmas Carol and ET

In the Middle’s best weekly freeview flicks picks is here! This week we meet a friendly ogre, share some Christmas cheer and meet an alien or two.

MONDAY – Shrek (BBC3 19:30)

Every Christmas, BBC3 plays host to the Shrek films, an animated series that can be enjoyed by anyone. The premise is certainly strange, an ogre goes on a journey with a donkey to rescue a princess in order to save his swamp, but Shrek is one of the best animated films of all-time. With great characters to engage with, humour to get you laughing, wonderful songs, a charming story and a feel-good tone, it is easy to watch and impossible not to enjoy.

TUESDAY – Bridget Jones’ Diary (ITV2 21:00)

The Bridget Jones series is another to make an appearance on our television screens every Christmas. A romantic-comedy to enjoy with all your girlfriends on a festive girly night in. With a superb cast, hilarious jokes and a well written story, it makes up for being cheesy by charming its way into your heart. Hugh Grant is also a definite added bonus!

WEDNESDAY – The Muppet Christmas Carol (Channel 4 16:50)

This Christmas Eve has plenty of brilliant films to enjoy, and there is certainly something for everyone. However, our ultimate pick is an essential Christmas film, to be watched each year without fail. It will certainly get you into the festive spirit whilst wrapping the last of your presents. Yes, it is of course the charming Muppet Christmas Carol. What could be better than watching the Muppets take on the classic Charles Dickens’ story, with Michael Caine as Scrooge?

THURSDAY – Arthur Christmas (Channel 4 18:00)

After eating yourself stupid, what better to do on the evening of Christmas Day than relax on the sofa with a film, your family and some cheeky chocolates? There is no better film for the occasion than Arthur Christmas, one of the best new Christmas films from the past few years. James McAvoy voices the charming Arthur, Santa’s clumsy son who has a mission to give out a present they misplaced to a young girl in less than two hours. Full of festive fun and cheer, it is a wonderful little animation.

FRIDAY – Avengers Assemble (BBC1 20:30)

Friday night sees the Freeview debut of perhaps the ultimate superhero film, Marvel’s Avengers Assemble! Get ready to join your favourite superheroes, from Captain America to Iron Man, for two and a half hours of sheer and spectacular fun. Yes, Marvel may not be for everyone, but Avengers Assemble is everything you would want it to be and would expect from a film that is bringing together some of the most popular film characters of all-time. A complete triumph that is insanely entertaining and awe-inspiring. Get the family around for this one!

SATURDAY – Hugo (Film4 15:50)

Martin Scorsese is best known for directing mature and shocking dramas such as Taxi Driver and, most recently, The Wolf of Wall Street. However, before he tackled corrupt millionaire Jordan Belfort, he took an orphan on an adventure in the magical Hugo. Although aimed at children, this is something everyone can enjoy, as we get to explore the origins of the most beautiful art form; film. With sophisticated and absorbing cinematography and enchanting performances from Asa Butterfield and Chloe Grace Moretz, you will be unable to wipe the smile off your face. An enchanting watch.

SUNDAY – ET the Extra-Terrestrial (ITV1 15:20)

Although you may have seen it time and time again, let’s face it, you cannot fault or argue with the brilliance that is Speilberg’s ET. There really is not much to say about this film, as you all know how utterly wonderful it is (and if you haven’t seen it, this should be written in your diary and highlighted as important). Get those tissues at the ready!

Emily Murray