Freeview Flicks of the Week: The Social Network, The Breakfast Club and Into the Wild

In the Middle’s best weekly freeview flicks picks is here! This week we join the breakfast club, see Daniel Craig as a cocaine dealer and lament the retirement of the genius Hayao Miyazaki.

TUESDAY – Layer Cake (Film4 23:35)

Director Matthew Vaughan’s latest film Kingsman: The Secret Service is currently out in cinemas, splitting audiences with its extreme violence and villain with prosthetic legs. Daniel Craig plays a successful cocaine dealer, who is given two very important jobs on the eve of his retirement. So convincing was Craig that  his brilliant performance secured him the role of Bond. The story is thrilling, and will grip you until the very end.

WEDNESDAY – Mission: Impossible (E4 20:00)

This year sees the return of Ethan Hunt and his crew, with Mission: Impossible 5 hitting our cinema screens this summer. If you are new to the franchise, then it is perhaps time you caught up on all the impossible missions and actions. Directed by Brian De Palma, before he handed the series over, the first film was a storming success. It is hard not to like handsome Tom Cruise in the role of Ethan Hunt, an agent who must discover a spy as he is cast out of his organisation under false suspicions of disloyalty. An fun-filled wild ride, it is everything that an action film should be.

THURSDAY – Into The Wild (Film4 00:50)

Sean Penn may be best known as an actor, but he both wrote and directed Into The Wild.  The film follows Emile Hirsch’s Christopher, as he abandons everything he owns to hitchhike to Alaska to live in the wilderness. The most appropriate word to describe this film is beautiful, as everything from the landscape to the script is just utterly gorgeous. Penn seems capable of getting a good performance out of anyone, even Vince Vaughan and Kristen Stewart!

FRIDAY – The Social Network (More4 21:00)

If you have not seen David Fincher’s masterpiece The Social Network yet, what have you been doing? Sure, a film that tells the story of how Facebook originated may not seem that interesting, but Fincher uses suspense to turn  this tale into a cool drama that will keep you gripped to the edge of your seat. Jesse Eisenberg is spot on as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, and with the fast and witty script of Aaron Sorkin in his hands, he takes the role and runs with it. This film isn’t really about Facebook; it’s about greed, friendship, betrayal, money and ambition.

SATURDAY – The Wind Rises (Film4 15:25)

Hayao Miyazaki is a master of animation. Head honcho at the delightful Studio Ghibli, he has overseen many incredible works. Respected and admired around the world, when he announced his retirement the world mourned and flocked to see his last film, The Wind Rises. Telling the story of the man who designed the Japanese fighter planes for WW2, it is his most personal film yet, with his relationship with his father being a key aspect of the film. Beautifully animated with a heartfelt story, you’re bound to be in tears by the end.

SUNDAY – The Breakfast Club (ITV3 00:10)

There are certain cult films every student should watch, and at the top of that list should be The Breakfast Club, the popular 1985 film that will steal your heart. The end is infamous, as Judd Nelson’s John punches the air in triumph as Simple Minds blasts out from the speakers. But this film is much more than its end scene. An absolute classic that is pure entertainment, you will laugh, cry, smile and be an out emotional mess at the end.

Emily Murray