The Oscars in Illustrations

The Oscars in Illustrations

With the Oscars celebration just gone it is fair to say they there is a clear dip in eccentric fun on the red carpet. The dresses were a little understated in their unusualness and this time round there were no make over mishaps. Even Lady Gaga adorned a dress that could be considered normal. The only feature she had was big Diana sleeves which even then passed off as wearable. With everyone wearing normal sensible dresses, the only outfit worthy of note is J-Lo’s trademark of sequined boobs – all cleavage and glitter.

10173521_10152627775887019_1145659243210498240_n

However, despite no standouts there certainly were some stunners. Thankfully the Oscars red carpet was not short of glamour. It was like Disneyland’s Princess parade but for adults, so many swashing ball gowns and figure flattering maxis, everyone looked so beautiful. Once more what was even more beautiful was the illustrations that came out after by a rising fashion artist Katie Rodgers.

Known for her watercolour sketches, you can find her work in the products of Nina Ricci, Kate Spade, Valentino, Swarovski, and Elle magazine. Rising up in the city of New York, she shone light on dresses worn at the Oscars and brought out the Disney beauty that adorned the red carpet.

Firstly and without doubt a stunner on the carpet that night was Felicity Jones in a bespoke Alexander McQueen silver pink dress. With satin falling from the waist and tiny pearl flowers decorating the bodice it wouldn’t be a surprise if this inspired the next Disney princess’ ballgown. Though Felicity wore it in style, you cannot help but appreciate the delicate detail in Katie’s illustration highlighting the sparkle and class this dress adorned.

11021164_10152628239772019_2870187450537034889_n

2015 felicity Jones

Despite the all cleavage centrepiece of J-Lo’s dress you cannot argue the glam and glitter of her all too flattering piece. Once more Katie managed to capture that detail in her illustrations and dare I say make it look prettier than the real thing.

The highest leg split goes to Chrissy Tiegen in the Zuhair Murad dress. Though not the biggest name on the carpet, Katie had the right mind to capture this dress for it stood out with the long train that followed it. This could definitely pass off as the new sexy wedding dress.

10991433_10152627674517019_7434814492481530193_n

Amongst these ball gowns you cannot over-look Cate Blanchett in her Giorgio Armani dress or Rita Ora in her classy navy satin. As these dresses looked so beautiful on the women, I for one can not wait to see what Katie Rodgers does next on her paper.

To find out more about Katie Rodgers you can like her on facebook https://www.facebook.com/paperfashion/timeline?ref=page_internal and follow her on her website http://paperfashion.net/.

Jasmin Vincent