Mass DNA search begins for Beeston bus stop rapist

By / 3 years ago / News / No Comments

West Yorkshire Police have begun a mass DNA swabbing operation as they search for the man who raped and attempted to murder a woman in Leeds.

The victim, an 18-year-old local woman, was dragged from a bus stop in Beeston and beaten with a stone before being sexually assaulted on the 6 March.

Since then WYP have already visited over 1000 homes in the surrounding area, and have collected swabs from 250 men.

Officers are testing anyone broadly fitting the description of the offender.

Det Supt Nick Wallen, of West Yorkshire Police, said: “The offender’s movements on the night of the attack strongly suggest the attacker has a link to the Beeston area.

“This mass swabbing operation is just one aspect of the investigation but it is vitally important for us to be able eliminate as many potential suspects as possible.

“The fact that we have a full DNA profile for the offender means that nobody has anything to fear about being wrongly implicated or telling us about anyone they have suspicions about.”

CCTV footage taken from the scene shows that the attacker, who is thought to be in his early 20s and of Pakistani or Middle Eastern origin, was wearing a green Puma hooded top and white trainers.

WYP have revealed that a footwear mark was recovered from the victim’s clothing and is thought to be from a Nike ‘Huarache’ shoe.

Det Supt Wallen added “These types of trainers are mass produced and widely available, but I would ask people to consider it alongside all the other elements of description and consider whether it points to a particular individual,”.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team on 01924 334710 or via 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Greg Whitaker

Photo:bbc.co.uk