LUU takes stance on Refugee Crisis

By / 3 years ago / News / No Comments
LUU takes stance on Refugee Crisis

Leeds University Union’s Student Executive have released a statement outlining their response to the current refugee crisis.

Their plans include donating materials such as duvets, clothes and shoes and opening up the union charity shop as a Free Shop on 15 September, for the benefit of refugees in the city.

They called on the government to take immediate action and take responsibility for the refugees currently suffering in Calais.

The exec further expressed their dedication to making Leeds a ‘City of Sanctuary’, as part of a nationwide scheme which aims to create an atmosphere of welcoming hospitality for refugees fleeing war and persecution.

They also encouraged students to attend the Day of Action being held in Leeds city centre this Saturday. Organised by Stand Up to Racism and National Day of Action, the event will call on the government to provide aid and hospitality to refugees.

The exec stated: “We, as a team, are deeply concerned with the current refugee crisis and, more specifically, the situation in Calais.

Not only do we have a large number of international students from across the world, some of which will be personally affected by the crisis, but we also feel obliged to address injustice wherever it happens.”

Speaking to The Gryphon, Union Affairs Officer Toke Dahler, said: “We are in the middle of what is perhaps the greatest humanitarian catastrophe in our lifetime and it feels right and just that LUU publicly supports those refugees in need.

“This effort, as with all our campaigns for change and action, is driven by our student members, so we encourage all students who feel moved to take action and get involved, and indeed to those students who are personally affected by this situation, we are here for you and are willing to show support and solidarity.”

Jessica Murray

Photo Credit: The Week