Review – Just A Little Downtown Boogie

Review – Just A Little Downtown Boogie

With Disco making a popular come back over the last year, it seemed only fitting for Just a Little to host ‘Downtown Boogie’, a night filled with disco balls and flares to get the Saturday Night Fever rising. Canal Mills was adorned with decorations, balloons and all things NYC Disco. The stage homed silhouettes of people finger pointing and wiggling to set the scene.

PAYFONE got things off to a start with funky bass lines futuristic synth grooves. The London based DJ outfit warmed up the crowd and got the disco groove started. Next on the bill was the four-piece DJ collaboration Horse Meat Disco. They upped the tempo with Pop Welcome’s ‘Call me in America’, mixed with four-to-the-floor house beats, that bought an up to date version of the 80s disco tune.

The second room welcomed Milkman Delivers DJs Mzungo and Ed Kellard. Celebrating their first birthday this month, the Milkman organisers have upped their game, with the DJs playing cool minimal house from within a giant milk bottle. They delivered a more house-focused set for those that wanted a break from the wiggling in the main room.

Suave and sophisticated disco-house pioneer Dimitri from Paris headlined the night, and having been DJing, producing and hosting radio shows since before us students were born, he definitely knew what he was doing. There were plenty of percussive instrumental breaks, with cross rhythms on dinging cowbells. Spacey laser shooting synth samples soared over disco classics that got everyone singing. Particular highlights were Daft Punk’s ‘One More Time’, followed by ‘Relight My Fire’ and Whitney’s ‘I’m Every Woman’.

The theme of the night was done really well: the music and decorations showed a real attention to detail on Just A Little’s behalf, that lead to a successful night of boogying all round. It was also refreshing to see a full blown disco night completely sell out – house has fizzled out quicker than you can say Hot Since 82.

Hannah Ng

(Photo credits: Justin Gardner via Just A Little)