Preview: JOHN at the West Yorkshire Playhouse

By / 3 years ago / Arts / No Comments

DV8’s latest production, JOHN arrives the West Yorkshire playhouse 22-24th October. Renowned for their powerful work and influence within physical theatre, DV8 are back with a hard-hitting and thought-provoking new work.

Creator, Lloyd Newson sent a team of interviewers to ask 50 men frank questions on love and sex. Their answers created this verbatim performance, which is set to combine the work of spoken word and physical movement to portray a tale of truths and intensity.

JOHN has already been well received by critics and was also streamed live across cinemas by National Theatre live earlier this year. Newson speaks of the process in making work as DV8, saying ‘Part of the reason it takes so long to make the show is that we edit the interviews on paper, then we audio edit them, so that I can give the cast the script and the audio as well’. Verbatim is universally acknowledged to be received as frank and provocative, which would suggest that DV8’s latest production will follow suit through honesty and integrity.

JOHN is currently on tour, and will be at the West Yorkshire Playhouse from Thursday 22nd October. Tickets are available priced £13.00-£35.00 from https://www.wyp.org.uk/events/john/

Mark McDougall

Images: Laurent Phillipe