Menswear: The Taboo Trends‏

Menswear: The Taboo Trends‏

Breaking the rules is an everyday occurrence in the world of fashion; black is now readily seen paired with blue; tweed is worn on nights out in cities as well as the country and denim-on-denim now gets an unanimous thumbs up. This constantly changing acceptability means pieces we might have once banished to charity shops and car-boot sales now need to be swiftly replaced. This week we give you the rundown on the styles you might want to revisit from your past and embrace for the fashion future.
Tracksuit Trousers
Jogging bottoms have gone from layabout favourite to Lanvin-endorsed in the last year alone. But the French fashion house’s designs aren’t the only sign; Paul Smith, Georgio Armani, and Louis Vuitton are all grabbing a piece of the athleisure trend. This unlikely transformation from cast-out to couture is thanks to a new breed of slim-cut styles, swapping scratchy cotton for luxury fabrics.

Picture6

Emporio Armani tracksuit bottoms

Pinstripes
This city-boy power pattern wasn’t always taboo, in fact it wasn’t until it’s adoption in the 80’s by a breed of bonus-snorting bankers that meant sartorial banishment for the design when the bubble eventually burst. Remerging at the hands of designers at Saint Laurent, it’s time to update your stripes. Just remember to mind the gap – a thicker stripe is less intense than the slimmer alternative – and make sure to keep your shirt and tie muted.

Pinstripe

Saint Laurent is championing the return of the pinstripe suit

‘Ugly’ Trainers
Minimal trainers have had their moment, and although they haven’t quite disappeared, maximalism is definitely flexing its muscles. Alongside joggers, the athleisure trend has seen a rise in loud, bulbous styles, with reissues of Reebok’s Insta Pump Fury and Nike’s Air Max 95, along with the rising popularity of the Raf Simons and adidas collab and their opinion-splitting Ozweego.

reebok

Reebok’s redesigned Insta Pump Fury trainer

Bucket Hats
No one could have predicted the sudden resurgence of Madchester’s headwear of choice. It seemed that the wide-eyed ravers of the 90’s and deep-sea trawlermen had sunk the hat’s fashion fortunes, however, thanks to skate brands such as Stussy and Palace, the bucket has been given the kiss of life. And with even Polo Ralph Lauren and Moncler putting their own spin on the hat, it shows nothing in fashion ever truly kicks the bucket.

stussy

Brands such as Stussy have helped revive the bucket hat

Grant Wilkinson

Cover image: www.eukicks.com