The Gamechangers: Edward Enninful‏

The Gamechangers: Edward Enninful‏

Edward Enninful, a Ghana-born, London-based fashion stylist, is often claimed to be one of the most influential voices in the fashion industry. His career in fashion began at only 16 years old when he was approached on a train by a stylist and was asked to model. By the age of 18 Enninful had been appointed as Fashion Director of i-D magazine; making him the youngest ever fashion director of an international magazine. Since then Enninful has been a contributing fashion editor for both American and Italian Vogue and is currently the fashion and style director for W magazine.

Throughout his career, Enninful has generated a storm within the industry. His edgy yet elegant style was first influenced by the streets of London and is thought to have aided the popularity of the grunge movement in the early 90s. His unique style and ability to bring energy and excitement to his work is what has made him so fascinating within fashion today. One of his most famous works was his ‘All Black’ issue for Italian Vogue in July 2008 in which he featured solely black models. His idea behind this was to end the “white-out that dominates the catwalks and magazines”. This issue was by far been the most popular in the publication’s history.

Picture4

Enninful’s ‘All Black’ issue for Italian Vogue, 2008

Edward Enninful’s work doesn’t stop at editorial pieces; he’s also been hugely involved in advertising campaigns and runway shows for a variety of big names within the industry including the likes of Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Calvin Klein, Adidas and H&M. As well as working with such renowned brands, his natural charm has helped him in linking arms and collaborating with many icons of the industry; Kate Moss, Cara Delevigne, Naomi Campbell, Pat McGrath and Mario Sorrenti are just the start of the list.

Enninful has been an influencer in the fashion industry for over 3 decades now and it doesn’t look like he’ll be quitting any time soon.

Daniella Bingham

Cover image: www.giorgioniro.com