Winter soup recipe
3 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
2pt/1.2L of boiling water, with two vegetable stock cubes mixed in to make stock
396g can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp dried basil
50g short cut macaroni pasta
450g can baked beans
Grated Parmesan cheese for the top
Cooking time: 20-21 minutes
This is a family recipe made by my Grandma every Saturday lunch time for when family and friends come to visit. It’s super simple and cheap to make, perfect on a cold winters night after a long revision session in the library.
(1) Heat the oil on a medium heat in a large pan and add the onion, bacon, potato, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
(2) Pour on the stock; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
(3) Add the tomatoes, basil, seasoning and continue cooking for a further 5 to 6 minutes.
(4) Finally stir in the macaroni pasta and beans and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes until the pasta is cooked.
(5) Season the soup and serve with Parmesan sprinkled on the top. Also goes well with grilled Parmesan cheese toasties.