Police issue warning over suspected GHB overdoses

Police issue warning over suspected GHB overdoses

West Yorkshire Police have issued a public warning after a suspected contaminated batch of the party drug, Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), led to four people falling ill at a Halloween Event on Saturday night.

Police were called to the Leeds’ Centenary Pavilion, on Lowsfield Road in Beeston, at around midnight after ambulance staff reported concerns for four individuals who were receiving treatment for suspected GHB overdoses.

GHB is a naturally occurring fatty acid with effects similar to that of alcohol and has been classified as a Class C drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) in the UK since 2003.

The two men, aged 21 and 25, and two women, aged 30 and 31, were taken to Leeds General Infirmary and have since been released.

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs and is currently in custody while enquiries continue.

Detective Inspector Jaz Khan, of Leeds District CID, said:

“We would urge anyone who has recently purchased this substance in the Leeds area to throw it away, as it is possible there may be a contaminated batch in circulation.

“We would also ask anyone who attended the event at The Pavilion, who may have information about anyone selling controlled substances in the area last night, to contact us on 101 or report anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.”

Jonathan Chard

(Image: Thump – Vice)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked. *