American Horror Story: World in shock as Donald Trump is elected President of the United States of America

By / 2 years ago / News / No Comments

Republican Donald Trump has been elected the 45th President of the United States of America, beating Hillary Clinton with a result that has shocked and scared many.

From the day he announced his candidacy in June 2015, his election campaign was widely seen as a joke. However, his confident speeches contained ideas that resonated with many voters.

It has been suggested that a vote for him was a vote against the establishment, which, following Brexit, is a trend that is undoubtedly on the rise.

Of an estimated 129 million votes, Donald Trump received 47% and 279 electoral votes, compared to Hillary Clinton, who received 48% of total votes but only 228 electoral college votes.

Donald Trump secured his victory by winning key swing states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. Pennsylvania was a particularly significant win, with it not having backed a Republican presidential candidate since 1988.

He will be sworn in as President on Inauguration Day, which is on the 20th January 2017.

The businessman turned politician has caused much controversy with his opinions, which include plans to build a wall along the Mexican border and for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country.

However, in his election victory speech he has promised to be a president “for all Americans”. He also praised Clinton, saying that “we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country”.

University of Leeds students flocked to LSR’s live coverage at Old Bar to watch the results, an event that was so popular that a one-in-one out system had to be implemented.

On Wednesday night Anti-Trump demonstrations took place across America. Demonstrators burnt orange-haired Trump effigies, lit bonfires and caused disruption that blocked traffic.

In New York, hundreds assembled outside Trump Tower, where the President was residing, with banners displaying messages such as “not my president” and “Trump: Make America Hate Again”.

His support may have divided many, but Hillary Clinton has said that “We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead”.

Polly Hatcher

(Image: Huffington Post)