Campus Watch: Men’s football team suspended for misogynistic comments

By / 2 years ago / News / No Comments

The men’s football team at Harvard University have been suspended for the rest of the season after revelations of the sexual comments that they have made about the women’s football team. The team is currently ranked number one in the Ivy League Men’s football league, however their chances to claim a place at the NCAA tournament have been scuppered due to the misogynistic attitude that The Harvard Crimson student newspaper revealed.

The Harvard Crimson uncovered the ‘scouting report’ from 2012 which enlisted each member of the women’s football team (with accompanying picture) and rated their attractiveness. Crude comments of a sexual nature were also used to describe the women, including one which read “she looks like the kind of girl who both likes to dominate, and likes to be dominated”.

The university president, Drew Faust, stated that he ‘was deeply distressed to learn that the appalling actions of the 2012 men’s soccer team were not isolated to one year or the actions of a few individuals.’

In response to the exposure, the members of the women’s football team that were listed in the document have released an article entitled ‘Stronger Together’ and concludes: “I can offer you my forgiveness, which is – and forever will be – the only part of me that you can ever claim as yours.”

Faith Dunne

(Image: The Telegraph)