Election Night: An Editor’s Take

Election Night: An Editor’s Take

So, Trump has won. Those are words I had hoped I wouldn’t have to write, but fortune was not so kind. A campaign fuelled by hatred and deception has resulted in the least qualified individual ever to receive the party nomination winning the White House.

It would be easy, and incorrect, to suggest that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist, or a moron, or a misogynist, though we cannot ignore the fact that everyone who voted for Trump did vote for a racist, moronic misogynist. Trump appears to possess genuine contempt for intelligence and has encouraged his followers to show the same disregard for facts that he demonstrated throughout his campaign. In the era of post-truth politics that we have entered, Trump is king.

Exploiting frustrations and blaming the easily victimised are a cheap way to establish oneself as a populist politician, but the more deeply entrenched this perception becomes, the more unquestioning people will be, so long as they believe they have someone fighting for them – someone on their side. What happens when Trump fails to deliver on his promises? It is not a question of if, but of when.

Will his followers continue to cheer his every word, no matter how vitriolic? Or will the crowd cease to praise the emperor’s clothes and instead laugh at the ugly, naked creature before them? What shall be contained in the manifesto of the Trump administration is unclear, but it shan’t be Trump’s creation. Mike Pence, Rudy Giuliani, Newt Gingrich and other contemptible demagogues will be the authors of the script; Trump shall simply recite it. Unfortunately, having taken control of both chambers of Congress, the Republicans should have little difficulty passing whatever legislation they please. America must prepare itself for the attack on liberal values that is to come from within and they must be ready to resist it.

Liam Kerrigan

(Image: BBC)