How it happened: election breakdown

By / 2 years ago / News / No Comments
How it happened: election breakdown

While the final upshot forecast may have given Secretary of State Hillary Clinton an 84% chance of victory in the presidential election, it is reality television star and businessman Donald Trump that has secured 279 electoral votes, and the White House.

Clinton versus Obama

Clinton did not perform as well as her predecessor, sitting President Barack Obama, in a number of key voting groups. Secretary Clinton led with voters of colour by some 50 points, whereas Obama beat Mitt Romney by 61. 54% of younger voters supported her, whereas 64% were behind Obama.

Battleground states

Seven swing states turned red for the Republican candidate – Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Iowa – despite a number of which that have not done so for decades. Pennsylvania last voted for a Republican candidate in 1988, and in 2012 Obama collected 52% of the vote, while this year Hillary Clinton only managed to procure 48% versus Trump’s 49%.

It was a tight race in a number of swing states, with the small number of votes given to Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson noted to have been able to secure Clinton victory in Florida if they had been in her favour – the margin in this state was 49% for Trump and 48% for Clinton.

Trends among voters

The prospect of a historic election of the first female president left many assuming that it would be simple for Clinton to secure women’s votes across the board, but that was not the case. While she did get a majority of 54% to Trump’s 42%, 53% of white women voted for Mr Trump and he also had 53% of male votes.

58% of white voters were for Trump, and 37% for Clinton, while ethnic minorities were largely voting for  Clinton. 88% of black voters, 65% of Hispanic and Asian voters, with 56% of other minorities all supported the Democratic candidate.

An arguably unsurprising outcome in light of Trump’s rhetoric, Clinton did not have as big of a lead in minority votes as Obama had.

Elise Middleton 

(Image: BBC)