Have your cake and eat it with the Baking Society

Do you love cakes? Especially free cakes? Then you should have attended the Baking Society GIAG on the 18th of October. We sampled an array of different treats, lovingly baked by the committee members. We were spoilt with a range of yummy goodies, including: ginger and lime cake, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and a really tasty raspberry cupcake, filled with jam. As a fanatic cake lover, you can imagine this was the best part of the GIAG.

Processed with VSCO with hb1 preset

Following this, we teamed up in fours for a baking related quiz; our team was called ‘A piece of cake’. This was really fun, but also quite challenging. In the first round we were presented with an image of a cake to identify. There were also a few questions in the quiz related to the Great British Bake Off, Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry. My flatmate and I made two friends during this part of the quiz, one was from Singapore and the other from India, so they weren’t as knowledgeable on British baking. They hadn’t even heard of the Great British Bake Off! Following this there was a music round where we had to guess the baking related songs by artists like Rihanna, with her song ‘Birthday Cake’, and Gym Class Heroes with ‘Cookie Jar’.

Processed with VSCO with kk2 preset

The baking society meet at 6pm every other week on a Tuesday at the Business School and with a lot of delicacies, usually with a set theme, for example, Halloween-themed. The baker membership is £22 including a food hygiene certificate, valid for three years. Alternatively, if you already have a food hygiene certificate then you can get the £10 membership and also come along to taste all the great bakes. However, if you just want to come along for tasting the amazing bakes, then you can sign up on the Facebook page a week before and its only £2, or if you’re baking then its completely free! You can eat all the cake!! The baking society even have an exclusive range of merchandise for sale including jumpers, mugs, aprons and even wooden spoons! They have also held a variety of socials, the biggest being the ‘Cakely Run’, like the Otley run, but instead of pubs and alcohol, you go to coffee shops and eat cakes – swap your pint for some pavlova! All the satisfaction of an Otley run without the hangover – what’s not to be excited about? Hopefully, this has sold you on joining the Baking Society, the society where you can literally have your cake and eat it!

Amy Brown

(Images: courtesy of The Messy Baker, and Amy Brown)