Heir @ The Wardrobe, 7/12/16

Heir @ The Wardrobe, 7/12/16

Have you heard of Heir?

Well you should have.

Heir is a five piece alt-pop band from Leeds, who have been playing music together for a few years, after meeting as students in Leeds. I was invited by a friend to the gig, I was agreeably surprised by the band. Very involved with the audience and making sure everyone enjoyed their evening, you cannot dislike them. Apart from their instrumental skills and their undeniable charisma and humour, the band isn’t scared to demonstrate their vocal capacities with a combination of powerful  harmonies and hooks.

Even if you aren’t specially into their music, they manage to make you want more by putting their own twist on modern pop music, influenced by The Eagles to The 1975 and Glass Animals. Releasing two BBC backed singles they have since gained support slots with Lawson, Honne, The Dunwells and Karima Francis and been featured on national radio, be prepared to hear more from them.

Their debut EP When The Lights Went Out gave them the opportunity to have their first headline tour across the UK and Europe, which is probably my favourite of theirs. The band isn’t only talented, but they also have their fanbase to support them, cheering and making the room full. The band even played a completely new song for us which made for a delightful preview at this gig. It’s a yes from me.

Ste on guitar and Harry on bass are flawlessly framed by Sam Perry’s keys. These were underlined by the unrelenting and powerhouse of a drummer, Sam Newham. However, what really stood out from the night was the backdrop that these combined efforts created for Tom’s light and emotive vocals which were superbly complimented by heart-warming harmonies.

Sarah Ashford-Brown

Image: Bandcamp