Raising the (collapsed) roof in Factory
Clubbers in Manchester were seen ‘raising the roof’ – quite literally – when the ceiling of a nightclub collapsed early on Sunday morning. Witnesses revealed that LED lights came smashing down as the wooden panel of Factory’s roof dropped at around 1:28am.
The unforeseen situation left all the students aghast and created quite a ruckus. As the ceiling dropped, dancers were heard screaming and shouting, and soon, found themselves in unison, all holding the plasterboard together.
Footage of the scenario has emerged on social media, showing chaos and panic amongst the students in the nightclub. However, no one was hurt in this incident as the club was evacuated safely. Students, who witnessed the incident first-hand, later took to social media to convey the news.
Tom Foster, aged 20, a student from Salford University, revealed that the whole situation was unfortunate and scary, and that help took quite a long time to arrive. He stated, “We were all dancing and we just suddenly had this wooden ceiling panel fall on our heads.
“As soon as the ceiling went all the lights smashed and fell on everyone, there was crying and screaming, we were just standing there holding it up, with half the room in darkness.
“It took about two minutes for the DJ to stop then bouncers rushed in, but there was no plan. I was surprised there was no announcement. I would have thought there would be someone in a situation like this to help people calm, when half the room is holding up the ceiling of a very old building.
“I got glass and dust in my eyes. Luckily we hadn’t had too much to drink.”
Another student from the same university told that they “felt rubble fall on my head, not heavy at all, and it went in my eyes.”
Later, a spokesman for Factory added, “A section of plasterboard came loose from the first floor. The same section came loose on this exact weekend two years ago. At this stage we are uncertain how or why.
“No-one was hurt and the club was evacuated purely as a precaution. There is no structural issue so we now need to investigate with contractors how this re-occurred.”
(Image: Twitter, @ThomasFoster)