Polo @ the Lending Room, 26/2/17

Polo @ the Lending Room, 26/2/17

In support of their upcoming debut E.P. Alice, Polo took to the Lending Room on Sunday evening to bring to conclusion a four date mini tour that included Glasgow, Newcastle and London. Having stepped on from slots supporting the likes of Japanese House and a main stage appearance at last year’s Humber Street Sesh, Polo are steadily installing themselves as one of Leeds’ true local powerhouses.

Releasing debut single, and penultimate song on of the night, ‘Visions of Fortune’ back in 2015, we had to wait until the start of this month before hearing new material. ‘Gold Horizons’, the first single to be released off the E.P., proved itself as a more than strong live track along with its already clear radio friendly sound, something that has earned it one of DIY Magazine’s tracks of the week plus airplay from Huw Stephens on Radio 1 and Amazing Radio. Following this, the three piece moved into as yet unreleased track ‘Neighbourhoods’, showcasing their ability to draw on different and distinctive influences, and pull them together into a sound recognisable across all their current work.

The hero of Polo, although not immediately obvious, is synth man Luke and his keen ear for creating a catchy, clicky and yet unique multi layered synth track to support singer Kat’s cool presence in front. Credit needs to go to Polo that, despite only have three songs released, there was no weak link in the set list, and no song that I wanted to move on from to hear nother I was familiar with. Latest single, ‘Soak’, released the same week, finished off the gig. Again showing the group’s versatility of sound, ‘Soak’ takes a more RnB route to the Polo sound, but still ends up at the product of a song that impresses both on tape and on the night. If any band, based solely on music, deserves to follow in the rich trail of Leeds bands that have broken into the mainstream, it is Polo.

Leo Joslin

(Image: Andrew Benge)