Why tits have nothing to do with it

Why tits have nothing to do with it

Emma Watson is definitely not the only one confused at the negative backlash concerning her latest photoshoot for Vanity Fair. Whilst critics argue that it is hypocritical of her to pose in a revealing manner given her feminist ideals, the rest of us might argue that they really don’t understand what feminist ideals really are. Feminism is really not about restricting how women dress and pose, but in fact the opposite – it’s about liberation.

Yes, the photoshoot is revealing. That much can’t be argued with. But how exactly that relates to a feminist world view where men and women are as free as each other is another thing. The shoot, completed by fashion photographer Tim Walker is a piece of art that is currently horrifically misunderstood. The atmosphere and mood of the photos should be as much of a focus as the small amount of flesh exposed. The stunning attention to detail within the lace on Emma’s skirt might well be a talking point. Or maybe the photo-perfect make-up could strike up as much interest as the somewhat exposed breast. It’s ridiculous that such talent should be looked over so quickly in place of a petty debate about whether feminists can get their boobs out once in a while. Of course they can. It’s a free world.

How can anyone claim to be a feminist and not support Emma Watson’s right – or any women for that matter – to dress as they please? That’s the real mystery. I can’t really put it any better than Emma herself, who argues that ‘Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with. It’s about freedom, it’s about liberation, it’s about equality.’ As if that’s not clear enough, she adds, for good measure – ‘I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it’.

And frankly neither do I.

Lydia Varney

Cover Image: http://metro.co.uk