Why You Should Go To The Polls Even If You Don’t Actually Vote

By / 2 months ago / Views / No Comments

While a lot of your peers will inundate you with who they are voting for and who you should vote for too, there are still many of us out there registered to vote but with no idea of who we will vote for, perhaps even if we will vote at all. But while it is perfectly acceptable to reject any of the proposed candidates, it is of paramount importance that you still make the trip to your local polling station in order to cast your non-vote.

When members of the electorate (especially young people) don’t turn out to vote, it becomes all too easy for the political establishment and the older generations to blame voter disenchantment on the political apathy of ‘those who couldn’t even bother to vote’ rather than the disengaged nature of Westminister politics and our so-called leaders.

You are entitled to your right to vote, but you are also entitled to your right NOT to vote. Yet, if this is how you choose to exercise your right, don’t make the mistake of sitting at home and letting your vote go to waste. Instead, make the journey to the polling station and ruin your ballot paper. Scribble across the whole paper, cover it in Nicolas Cage quotes, get creative and draw some butterflies taking a dump on Parliament. Show that you are engaged enough to vote but that none of the political parties are engaged enough with you to warrant your vote.

Because David Dimbleby announcing the day after the General Election that 30% of Britain didn’t turn up to vote sends a completely different message than David Dimbleby announcing that 30% of Britain voted for a ‘Giant Douche’ or a crudely drawn penis.

I myself will most likely be voting for Labour on the 8th June. My constituency is very much a safe Labour seat, and I believe the Conservative party has run one of the most embarrassingly poor and disastrous election campaigns since Michael Foot in the 1980s. I still haven’t quite forgiven the Liberal Democrats and I don’t think the electoral system allows the Green party the representation they deserve in Parliament.

But if I, like many people out there, genuinely believed that none of the names up for election honestly represented me and that the government had again failed to offer an option that will benefit the country as a whole, then I would still turn that frustration into a political statement by drawing something even naughtier than Theresa May running through a field of wheat all across my ballot card.

Don’t throw away your vote in an moment of political apathy; make it count in an act of political rebellion.

Robert Cairns