Mr Scruff gets Funky on a Friday

Mr Scruff gets Funky on a Friday

For someone whose peak was about 10 years ago, I can officially say that Mr Scruff still knows how to work a crowd. Known for his loose-lined cartoon drawings, love for cups of tea, and eclectic music taste, the British-born DJ was nothing but a hit. This time the venue of choice was the intimate Hifi club, the perfect setting for some seriously groovy music on a Friday night. With his humble beginnings starting in Greater Manchester it seemed fitting that Mr Scruff paid another sold out visit to Leeds. With sets like this it is not difficult to see why people show up in their masses. As added bonus, the four hour DJ set supported by Tom Smith from COSMIC SLOP, a standout DJ in his own right that has collaborated with Mr Scruff multiple times over the years. 

I can’t say that it was better than his Houghton festival set but it was close. The atmosphere was electric with all the night’s attendees grooving the night away. The feeling was incomparable. As the room filled, Mr Scruff smoothly changed the pace of the music from soul and funk to dub, ska and reggae. However, most of the fun-filled night I spent dancing to his speciality, esoteric jazz. The best thing about Mr Scruff’s sets: you may not know the song but you can be sure it will be very, very funky.

If you’re looking to sample the night for yourself, Mr Scruff has offered a downloadable rip of the entire set, available here. Enjoy.

Bella Davis 

Image credits: Mr Scruff