Books to Look Out for in 2018

Books to Look Out for in 2018

The novelist and essayist, Christopher Morley, once wrote: ‘When you sell a man a book you don’t sell him just 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue – you sell him a whole new life.’ This year, liberate your minds from your reading lists and take a gander at what promises to be the best books this year.

Upstate – James Wood

If you were looking for some light reading, look no further than James Wood’s new effort. The novel follows the story of father, Alan Querry, and his two daughters. With one daughter in America and the other in London, the family unit has never really recovered from the parent’s bitter divorce. When one falls into a deep depression, all three come together for a discussion on how to be happy and the meaning of life. This is a very nuanced, compassionate and honest read about mental health and definitely worth the time of day.

Feel Free – Zadie Smith

You may know her from the release of her best-selling debut novel White Teeth, Zadie Smith is back with a collection of essays set to be released in February of this year. Hailed as a voice of her generation, Smith’s subject matter ranges from Quentin Tarantino to the fundamentals of The Social Network with a style that never fails to amuse. Not one to be missed!

Dead Men’s Trousers – Irvine Welsh

Once again we are joined by Renton, Begbie, Sick Boy and Spud in the latest installation from Irvine Welsh. Renton is now a big-shot DJ manager, unsatisfied with the high life. After bumping into long-time nemesis Begbie, Renton is surprised to find that he’s reinvented himself as an artist and not set on revenge, whilst Spud and Sick Boy have embarked on a venture into the organ-harvesting business. Knowing Welsh, his dark humour will revive these characters once more.

Warlight- Michael Ondaatje

Writer of The English Patient and Anil’s Ghost, Michael Ondaatje, is releasing his first book in six years. Set in post-war London, 1945, following the aftermath of the Blitz, two young teenagers find themselves in the care of ‘The Moth’ and his rag-tag group of criminal acquaintances. Years later, Nathaniel writes back on his memories of that time and uncovers the secrets not realised as children. Ondaatje is truly one of the greatest writers of our time and you can grab a copy of Warlight in June this year.

Olivia Raine

Image: Inc.com