Tv Shows to Look out for In 2018

Tv Shows to Look out for In 2018

Many of our favourite shows are returning this year, and there are some new additions to the small screen which show promise. Here is a run down of a few big ones to look out for this year.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story – FX
The second instalment in the crime anthology series follows the 1997 murder of iconic fashion
designer, Gianni Versace, by the serial killer, Andrew Cunanan. Early reviews have been positive for
the show, with many praising Glee’s Darren Criss for his performance as Cunanan. After the
phenomenal Emmy award-winning first instalment of the anthology series, it seems safe to say that
this second season will be fantastic.
First episode aired on 17 th January.

Atlanta: Season 2 – FX
The long-awaited second season of Donald Glover’s award-winning series will finally make its return
this year. Glover has stated that he doesn’t intend to produce a second season that is too similar to
the first just to keep his audience complacent but that he would rather push the boat out and
produce something controversial. The end of the last season that saw Glover’s character Earn’s story
left ambiguous should give Glover a lot of room to work and produce a stellar second season.
Release Date: 1 st March

The Chi – Showtime
Created by Emmy award-winning screenwriter and Master of None star, Lena Waithe, The Chi
follows ‘a fateful turn of events that sends shockwaves through a community of the Southside of
Chicago’ connecting the lives of the lead characters. Waithe’s creative debut has been described as
bursting with flavour and humanity, with the relatively young cast being praised for their
performances. The show holds promise and potential to flourish into a great piece of television.
First episode aired on 7 th January.

Altered Carbon – Netflix
Based on the 2002 novel by Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon is set five hundred years in the
future, and centres on a time where people’s consciousness can be digitally stored and then
downloaded into a new body, known as a sleeve. It seems as if the show will be somewhat
reminiscent of Blade Runner, with many thematic similarities between the two.
Release Date: 2 nd February.

Making a Murderer: Season 2 – Netflix
You couldn’t go anywhere at the end of 2015 without hearing about Netflix’s controversial
documentary. The series that had so many people talking is slated to make a return this year. The
convictions of Steve Avery and Brendan Dassey left viewers crying for justice, but more importantly
left them crying for more episodes.
While there is no official release date as of yet, Netflix’s VP Cindy Holland stated that new episodes
are coming this year.

Honourable Mentions
Sharp Objects- New series based on Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn’s first novel – 1 st AprilManiac- Dark comedy following two psychiatric patients starring Jonah Hill and Emma Stone–
Release date TBA
Jessica Jones: Season 2- Long awaited second season to the phenomenal Netflix Marvel hit returns –
8 th March
Everything Sucks- Netflix coming-of- age comedy that parodies ‘90s teen culture – 16 th February
Waco – Six-part miniseries based on the 1993 siege of the Branch Davidian compound that resulted
in a deadly fire – 24 th January

Charlie Green

Image: Popsugar