10 ways to de-stress now that exams are done.

There’s no two ways about it, exams are stressful. But now, thankfully, for most of us they’re over. So here are 10 ways to de-stress now that you’re free.

1. Meet your friends for a coffee and a chat.

Meeting friends is a great way to take your mind off your exams but try to go to a café that isn’t in one of the university’s libraries. As much as we all love the Edit Room, you’ve no doubt made the library your home for the past few weeks and so to really free yourself from that studying mindset, try somewhere off campus.

1. Go on a night out.

Nothing says, ‘I’m free from exams!’ like £2.80 doubles at Fruity. So go out, let your hair down and enjoy yourself! You deserve it.

1. Take a walk.

Being in West Yorkshire, Leeds has loads of green spaces for you to stretch your legs. Getting some fresh air after being holed up with your books for weeks will do wonders.

1. Watch a film.

Whether you’re watching a classic on Netflix or heading to Hyde Park Picture House, watching a film is a great way to switch off from the world and immerse yourself in something captivating.

1. Treat yourself to a shopping spree.

Go ahead and treat yourself to that pair of shoes you desperately wanted for Christmas (but Santa didn’t get the hints).

1. Join a club.

The new year is the perfect time to start that ‘thing’ you’ve been putting off. It could be that society you meant to join at the beginning of the year or that sports team you missed the trials for. The post-exam period is when lots of clubs look for new recruits so make the most of it and you could end up with a new passion.

1. Take a day trip.

If Leeds is giving you the winter blues, there are countless places nearby to explore. Manchester, Sheffield and York are all only an hour away by train. With a railcard, it’s a cheap, quick and exciting way to let off some steam in a new city.

1. Plan things.

It doesn’t have to be something spectacular but having things to look forward to with your friends will take your mind off waiting for those dreaded results.

1. Go to the gym.

It’s well known that exercise is not only good for your body but for your mental health too. Give your brain a kind of mental detox and hit the gym. It will also give you a chance to work off that exam diet consisting of Doritos, coffee and pot noodles.

1. Finally, sleep.

Just do nothing. You no longer have to think about exams. Your reward for weeks of hard work is that you can do nothing and not feel guilty. Give yourself some quiet time before the next set of deadlines and the madness begins all over again.

Georgie Burgess

(Image: GQ)