The importance of body positivity

The importance of body positivity

The body is a constant and inevitable presence in our everyday lives. From how we decide to get dressed to what we like to eat, from the advertisements that torment us, to other people’s looks, we cannot avoid taking into consideration the body. Everything seems to affect our body and our perception of it. Our body is important! Through our physicality, we interact with others and express our feelings. Even if we are more than just this external shell, we need to love it to feel at peace with our entire self. But appreciating ourselves as we are is easier said than done. Who has never felt unhappy with their form? The negative consequences are many: if you don’t like how you look probably you don’t feel at your ease with other people and their perception of you. Consequently, your self-esteem drops. We need so badly to have a positive attitude towards our body! It is not easy to overstep the barrier that prevents us from loving ourselves, but here are some tips:

• Be active! Doing some physical exercise can free your mind. Not only will help you get more toned, it can also help you feel well and in harmony with your body.
  • Try to have a healthy and balanced diet: Don’t avoid that cake that you really like, don’t start off on a strict diet. Try to find your balance progressively, so you’ll be more likely to reach a steady result.
  • Have a critical attitude towards the media. Each era is characterized by an archetype of beauty. However, if you look back in time, you’ll notice that what is thought to be ugly now was appreciated in the past. Don’t trust models, their perfection is illusory. Indeed, no one can be the same as another person, we are all different and unique. Also, ask yourself: what or who gets to define beauty?
  • You come first: The first person who should accept your body is you! Once your self-esteem rises, no matter what people say you will walk with your head held high.

Fashion and beauty standards change quickly over the years while we just have one life, and if we find who we really are we can get the best of it. We should appreciate our body and feel good about ourselves first. Then not only we will be more self-confident and genuine people, but this can also have a positive effect on society. Let’s make the body positivity our resolution for this new year!

Eleonora Peruch

(Image: Voodoo Vixen)