Giantkillers Guiseley victim of Lancaster City giant killing

Image Credit [Mike Johansson]

It was the turn of FA Cup giantkillers Guiseley to be on the receiving end of a giant killing as they lost 2-1 to Northern Premier Division side Lancaster City. The visitors, who are 16th place in the division below Guiseley, fought back after an early goal from Rowan Liburd with goals from Matthew Blinkhorn and Steven Williams to secure their place in the first round proper of the FA Trophy.

On a night of freezing cold and fog at Nethermoor Park, Guiseley went ahead after Lewis Walters charged down Craig Stanley’s clearance, before bursting down the right-hand side and perfectly laying the ball across to Liburd who somehow scuffed his first attempt from four yards out, before eventually bundling the ball home to send ‘The Lions’ 1-0 up. However, it was Lancaster who looked the better team with a Charlie Russell effort from 30 yards being expertly clawed away from the top corner by Jon Worsnop in the Guiseley net. After 23 minutes, the away side got their just reward as a Robert Wilson free-kick was crossed in with precision and guided home by Blinkhorn into the top corner. Lancaster were looking dangerous from these set pieces but Guiseley were looking a threat on the counter and after a mazy run from Walters, he tried to take it on himself instead of laying the ball off to Louis Walsh and was expertly tackled by Simon Wills in the Lancaster penalty area. The teams went in at half time at 1-1 but in truth Guiseley would have been relieved to be level as the change in shape to 4-4-2 had enabled Lancaster to dominate the game in midfield with play passing by Alex Purver and Kingsley James.

Image result for guiseley rowan liburd

Rowan Liburd was on the scoresheet for Guiseley in what was otherwise a disappointing night. Image Credit [Guiseley AFC]

Guiseley did improve after the break though as Kaine Felix looked increasingly lively on the right wing but it was the away side who went ahead. On 71 minutes, after some good work out wide from Wilson, he squared the ball to Steven Williams who had his initial shot superbly blocked by Worsnop before tapping in the rebound. It was only then that Guiseley seemed to come to life and inject some urgency into their play as Paul Clayton, Curtis Morrison and Will Hatfield were all introduced, yet it was Lancaster who nearly extended their lead with Worsnop saving from Wilson first before making a great one-on-one save to deny Thomas Kilifin. As the fog only grew, Guiseley huffed and puffed to draw level, yet poor crossing often let them down, with deliveries rarely beating the first man. Liburd had a shot well saved by Aidan Stone before Walters curled just over in injury time in the deteriorating visibility!

Lancaster held on to secure a 2-1 victory which was thoroughly deserved as it seemed that they wanted it more on the night and Guiseley, who needed a big performance after their cup exploits, just didn’t turn up.

It was the turn of the giantkillers to be giant killed!

Attendance: 283

Gryphon Guiseley Man of the Match: Jon Worsnop

Will Pickworth