In the Middle with Freya Beer

In the Middle with Freya Beer

Freya Beer is a fresh new face on the alternative music scene, blending poetic lyrics with punky guitar riffs to create an exciting and fresh new sound.

Freya Beer released her excellent single ‘Bike Boy’ on the poet Charles Bukowski’s birthday. Poetry is important in Freya Beer’s music; however, she tells me it was only recently that poetry had a large impact on her. She is currently studying at university and in her first year was introduced to the bard of Salford, John Cooper Clarke.  Clarke is celebrated for writing poetry that is witty and down to earth and Freya Beer explains how she was “blown away by his words and presence”.  For Freya Beer, John Cooper Clarke sparked a new interest in poetry that lead her to delving into new areas, including 19th century French poetry and “just digging deep for inspiration”.

Freya Beer’s interest in poetry translates into her own lyrics, the line “you’re just another bike boy/ a cycle tart with your toy’s” in ‘Bike Boy’ is particularly striking. When asked what her writing process is like she explains that “It’s different every time. Sometimes if I’m messing around on my guitar I come up with a riff and I build lyrics around that. Or sometimes it’s during the day when I overhear words or read something and later note it down to put into my writing.”

Recently Freya Beer released a cover of Bob Dylan’s ‘Blowing in the Wind’ on SoundCloud. The track begins with an ethereal rendering of the chorus before a guitar riff leads into a punky rendition of Dylan’s classic. She explains how her main musical influence is Patti Smith as she introduced her to using poetry and spoken word in music. Freya Beer states that it is this “idea of combining the two” that appeals to her own musical style. Other notable influences include Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds as Freya Beer tells me she loves his vocal delivery and admires that “his words are not always sung but often spoken”.

Freya Beer’s musical style is alternative rock with heavy guitar riffs. She details that what appeals to her about this musical style is the performative aspect. She modestly tells me that she is “not the best singer in the world” but that she quite likes the combination of her voice and music as the sound produced is more “unique”.

As a young and upcoming artist, it is exciting to hear what else Freya Beer has in store. She states that in the New Year we can expect a new single, also an EP and the release of a music video.

Freya Beer has recently supported Lighten Up Laura and Juniore in Southampton. Be sure to listen to Freya Beer on SoundCloud and follow her on TwitterInstagram and Facebook.

She has also released merchandise including t shirts and stickers.

Pheobe Berman

Header Image Credit Facebook