Pool team get relegated

Ethan Monks 1/3/2013

Pool

Last Thursday saw LUU Pool and Snooker club take two teams down to Great Yarmouth for the biggest organised event of the year. Leeds headed into the tournament seeded 8th, trying to defend their Team Trophy title.

Thursday afternoon saw the first individual matches take place but all but two of the 10 players entered fell at the first hurdle, including James Benstead and Aaron Thompson who both lost out after some intense tactical play.

With both teams’ hopes on their shoulders, fresher Michael McDermott and Club President Sam Burridge both made it through to the 2nd round but after a tough draw and some underhanded opposition chanting, only Captain Sam Burridge progressed to the last 128.

spBurridge had a lot to do after being drawn against a tough opposition in Manchester Met’s Matthew Guest. After some controversy involving the quality of tables at the venue, it was Guest who stood victorious after a close game with our Captain.

With the individual games all out of the way and the early nerves well and truly settled, Friday saw the start of the team play. After a run to the quarter-finals last year, Leeds 2nds had earned themselves promotion to the top tournament bracket, the Team Championships. However, the tough group they were drawn into saw them battered in their first few matches and left them playing for nothing but pride in their final group match, with progression already ruled out.

The results of the 2nds left all hope with the 1sts who themselves had a tough draw with Lancaster and eventual winners, Nottingham. Narrowly losing two matches by one frame and drawing with Nottingham 5-5, the 1sts also found themselves playing for pride in the final group game but with results elsewhere going against them, the outcome wasn’t enough to stop Leeds finishing bottom of their group and suffering relegation to the Team Shield next year.

However, with most of the team graduating in the summer, it might not be a bad thing to start at the bottom again next year with committee members Daniel Hunter and Ethan Monks looking for some fresh talent to usher in a new era for Leeds Uni pool.