The fire brigade rushed to attend a fire in a residential street in Hyde Park on Tuesday.
Onlookers were forced to dial 999 in Harold Grove, a residential street in the student area of Hyde Park, as a skip parked on the road was ablaze.
Fourth year German student Charlotte Stones saw the commotion taking place: “We heard some loud bangs and when we went outside there was a huge cloud of smoke coming from the street next to us, so we went over to see what was happening. A skip was on fire right outside someone’s house.
She added: “Lots of people were stood around watching and one man was trying to put it out with his garden hose.”
Stones commended the response time of the West Yorkshire Fire Dept, saying: “A fire engine came and it was put out straight away, it could have been a lot worse as it was so close to parked cars.”
A spokesperson for the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said that they received “numerous calls” at the time of the fire, which started at approximately 3:35pm.
The spokesperson clarified: “One engine from Stanningley Fire Station attended.”
The cause of the fire was accidental, the spokesperson confirmed.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have also been running a Fresher’s Week campaign to highlight fire safety, and remind students frequently to check the general fire safety tips available online here: http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/news/don-t-let-your-university-career-go-up-in-smoke