Student takes marathon challenge for RAG

Leeds RAG member and Civil Engineering Postgraduate, Matthew Haythornthwaite, is to run marathons between October 2014 and October 2015.

Matthew, who will continue to study whilst completing the challenge, aims to raise £10,000 for St Gemma’s Hospice and Brain Tumour Research and Support.

He has taken on the challenge in memory of his father, who died of a brain tumour in October 2005. Each marathon will represent a year since his dad’s passing with the final one marking the ten year anniversary.

He said, ‘In order to mark the 10 years since my dad passed away of a brain tumour, I’ve set up a marathon challenge which is going to test both my physical and mental stamina’

The total distance that Matthew will cover over the course of his challenge is 262 miles, the equivalent of running from Leeds to Portsmouth.

Matthew is determined to complete the challenge, but is in no doubt about the difficulties he will face. He has also said he will be organising further fundraising events throughout the year to ensure his target is reached.

As well as the marathon challenge, Matthew is also working on another side-project: “Not sure if you’ll want to mention it, but i’m trying to collect a mile of pennies over the course of the year, which is 80,000! So if people want to collect them for me they can drop them off at the RAG office!”

You can keep up to date with Matthew’s progress on his Twitter feed ‘@10marathonschal’ and on his Facebook page ‘10 Marathons Challenge’. Matthew also aims to collect the equivelant of a mile of pennies, which is 80,000 in total.

Donation boxes will be set up around University and in the RAG office. To donate, visit ‘justgiving.com/10marathonschallenge’ or text: ‘TTMC66 £(amount)’ to 70070.

Hugh Baillie-Laine