The Digest – 10/10/14

Breaking down the stories that matter.

White House Security breach

The director of the US Secret Service, Julia Pierson, was forced to resign last week following a serious security breach at the White House. It was reported that Omar Gonzalez, 42, had scaled the fence to enter the building and was tackled by security officers inside the East room which is used for presidential functions. President Obama had left the building 10 minutes before. The incident occurred just three days after an armed contractor with convictions of assault had shared a lift with the President. Obama has responded in defence of the Service.

Hugh Baillie-Lane

Funeral service for David Miller

The memorial service of Leeds engineering graduate David Miller, 24, took place last Friday at the Holy Trinity Church in Jersey. Mr Miller was found dead on the Thai island of Koh Tao alongside Hannah Witheridge, a 23-year-old from Great Yarmouth on the 15th September. Many of those in attendance of the service wore colourful clothing, respecting the wishes of the Miller family. David’s brother Michael, described him as a ‘trusted friend and unshakable ally’. Reports from Thai police suggest that the pair were murdered in the early hours of the morning. A full inquest will begin on the 6th January.

Danny Anderson

Service Held for Murdered UK Hostage

Last Sunday a “service of reflection” was held in Salford for Alan Henning, who was killed by Islamic State last week. On Friday, the militant group posted an online video, which appeared to show the beheading of the Salford-based taxi driver. Mr. Henning, 47, became the second British aid worker in less than a month to be executed by IS, after David Haines’ execution last month. On Sunday, Mr. Henning’s family spoke publicly for the first time after his death, saying: “He will be remembered for this and we as a family are extremely proud of him and what he achieved and the people he helped.”

Greg Whitaker

ICC refuse delay to Kenya Pres. trial

President Uhuru Kenyatta’s appeal to postpone his hearing later this month has been rejected by the International Criminal Court (ICC). Mr Kenyatta’s lawyers requested his hearing be either postponed or ran via video link. The ICC however pressed that the matters to be discussed are at a critical stage and directly involve the interests of the accused and the victims. Mr Kenyatta has been accused of organizing ethnic massacres following allegations of fraud after the 2007 elections.

Ellie Pugh