Bean cakes, or ‘Akara’, are a Nigerian snack or breakfast food, and the perfect complement to your morning coffee.
- 125g bean flour
- 250ml water
- 1 stock cube
- ¼ red onion
- 2 tbsps of salt
- 1 pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Dice the onion and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the bean flour, water, stock cube, onions and pepper to make a batter.
- Stir well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot, and drop ½ tsp of batter in the oil to test it. If the oil is hot enough, the batter will rise almost immediately.
- Scoop batter into hot oil and let it fry till it turns golden brown.
- Scoop the bean cake out of the oil and pop onto a piece of kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil.
Allow to cool and enjoy!
Image property of lohiscreations.com