Colourful Caribbean Tortilla Cups

This recipe is here to change your dull, pasta filled diet. These tortilla cups are easy to make and very versatile too – fill them with whatever you fancy! This recipe calls for a mix of colourful ingredients, giving you the food ‘rainbow’ you need in these darkening winter days. Healthy fats from the avocado, vitamin C from the red pepper and mango, a good boost for your immune system too.

Makes 12 cups

Ingredients

• 3 tortilla wraps
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1⁄2 avocado – ripe, but firm
  • 1⁄2 a mango
  • A bunch of mint leaves
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1 chili (optional)
  • 2 spring onions
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil (for greasing)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C. Lightly grease the muffin tray with olive oil and set aside.
  2. Stack up the tortilla wraps and slice them crosswise to get 12 quarters. Take each quarter and gently fit them into each muffin hole, folding sides in where comfortable. They should sit nicely, with the sharp edges standing out. Be careful, as the wraps tear easily.
  3. Pop the muffin tray into the oven for 5 minutes, or until the ‘cups’ turn a nice golden-brown. Note: Once done, rest for 5 minutes and remove the cups from the muffin holes and place  onto a plate, as this will prevent condensation forming on the underside and softening the base.
  4. Cut up the mango, avocado and red pepper into 1cm cubes. Slice the chili and roughly chop up the mint leaves.
  5. Mix all ingredients into a bowl and season with lime juice, salt and pepper.
  6. Fill cups with the mixture and garnish with sliced spring onions. For a higher fibre option, go for wholemeal tortillas.

Ideas for other worldly combinations:

• Mediterranean: chickpeas, olives and feta cheese
  • Mexican: your best chili con carne, topped with cheese
  • Asian: stir-fried garlic shrimps and shredded cabbage