Freeview Flicks of the Week – Shaun of the Dead, Moonrise Kingdom and Silver Linings Playbook

Share Post To:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

In the Middle’s best weekly freeview flicks picks is here! This week we fight zombies, go to a male strip show and join a search party for two young lovers.

MONDAY – Shaun of the Dead (ITV2 22:00)

Everyone needs a break from the stress of university every now and again, and what better way is there to take your mind off things than Edgar Wright’s silly and hilarious Shaun of the Dead. If you have not seen it already, where have you been? With a stellar British cast led by witty duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, a thoroughly entertaining story and plenty of humour, it is certainly the best of Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto’ trilogy and insane fun.

TUESDAY – Magic Mike (Film4 23:35)

Who needs Fifty Shades though when you can enjoy the excellent Magic Mike this Tuesday night, complete with topless men and without the weirdness. Steven Soderbergh’s film is well written, engaging with you throughout with compelling drama, plenty of twists and comic relief to relieve the tension. Soderbergh would never just make a film about male strippers you know, there has to be more depth.

WEDNESDAY – Rust and Bone (Film4 23:45)

If a good romantic drama is what you are looking for this week, then look no further than the beautiful Rust and Bone, which is on this Wednesday night.  Jacques Audiard’s elegant film follows the relationship between the lost soul Alain and whale trainer Stephanie, a relationship that grows more difficult after Stephanie suffers a hideous accident that leaves her with no legs. Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts give utterly compelling performances, really delving into their characters. You will be left an emotional mess at the end of this powerful drama.

THURSDAY – AI: Artificial Intelligence (BBC1 23:45)

Steven Spielberg is one of the biggest names in Hollywood, but often it is his lesser known films that will take you by surprise and soon become your favourites. AI: Artificial Intelligence is one such film, made in 2001 and then soon forgotten about. Following the story of a robotic boy who longs to become ‘real’ so he can regain the love of his human mother, it is a poignant and deeply thought-provoking drama that has heart and brains. You need to be patient with this film ,which can be a slow burner at times, but if you watch it all you will be rewarded with an intensely touching tale that raises some challenging questions.

FRIDAY – 2001: A Space Odyssey (BBC2 23:05)

Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest and most influential directors in the history of cinema. He transcended boundaries and was unafraid to try something new being ahead of his time. Arguably, Kubrick’s best film is the masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey, a film that will leave you bewildered and emotionally shaken up – though in a good way, of course!

SATURDAY – Silver Linings Playbook (Channel 4 21:00)

This weekend is Oscar weekend, the most infamous film awards ceremony in Hollywood. Back in 2013 one of the biggest hits at the award ceremony was Silver Linings Playbook, a film that seemed to be nominated for every award going but ensured that Jennifer Lawrence walked home with a golden statue. In the film, Lawrence plays a mysterious girl who befriends Bradley Cooper’s former teacher, who has just come out of a mental institution. Cooper and Lawrence give brilliant performances in a captivating story that is full of charm, comic relief and drama that will leave you feeling uplifted at the end.

SUNDAY – Moonrise Kingdom (Channel 4 23:05)

Director Wes Anderson stole the hearts of the world with The Grand Budapest Hotel last year. Although it is certainly the best film of his career, many of his previous films are also rather brilliant. For example, Moonrise Kingdom is just as beautifully directed, aesthetically pleasing and delightfully charming. Following two young lovers who flee their town, causing a local search party to be formed to find them, it is full of the charismatic quirks we expect from an Anderson film. Simply adorable, it is an easy film just to relax to, enjoy and fall in love with.

Emily Murray