Leeds Opens Applications for its First University Challenge Team since 2011

Share Post To:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leeds University Union are searching for the five brightest students at Leeds to send to University Challenge for the first time since 2011.

If you consider yourself to be a serial quizzer or a genius just waiting to be discovered, then this is your chance to show your housemates that that one time you got a pointless answer or outsmarted the chaser wasn’t just a lucky fluke.

To do this, you simply need to take one of two tests. If you’re a lover of everything Plath, Picasso and Pachelbel, then take the Arts and Humanities Test. If your world revolves more around polymers, politics and pyrotechnics, then take the Science and Social Sciences Test.

When you have completed one of the tests, you can hand it in to the Rep Room (upstairs in the Union), or email it to m.boden@leeds.ac.uk for consideration. This needs to be done by 10am, Monday 5th November.

LUU have asked applicants not to cheat by googling the answers, as you’ll have to pass two further tests in order to get through, where google won’t be available. In other words, it’s better to make a fool of yourself at a laptop screen in the Brotherton than live on TV in front of millions.

If your score qualifies you for the final heat, then you will be invited to a test in front of a live audience in Pyramid Theatre on Wednesday 7th November, 6-8pm. If you pass this test, then you may just be lucky enough to find yourself sat opposite Jeremy Paxman with three other lucky applicants.

Looking to apply with a team as diverse as they are bright, LUU “would particularly welcome applications from students who self-identify into our liberation networks, mature students, postgraduates, and part-time learners.”

For more information on the application process, visit: https://www.luu.org.uk/news/archive/take-the-university-challenge-test/

Robbie Cairns