Pancake day is arguably one of the most exciting foodie days of the year as it’s one time where you can eat your body weight in fluffy golden pancakes with absolutely no judgement from anyone else.
A constant debate at uni surrounds whether scotch (American style) or crepes (English/French style) are better, and for me, there’s a place for both; I think crepes are perfect for dessert whilst scotch are better for breakfast as they’re much more filling.
Once I transitioned to veganism I was on a mission to find a simple scotch pancake recipe that uses cheap/regular ingredients as I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun.
Being vegan doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the fun as I’ve created a simple scotch pancake recipe that uses cheap/regular ingredients (i.e. you won’t need a spenny shopping to Holland and Barrett) and only takes 15 minutes to whip up a batch!
You can be as creative as you like with the toppings, but for some inspiration; I usually serve mine with blueberries, peanut butter, maple syrup and soya yogurt if I’m having them for breakfast, then for a sweeter treat I recommend lathering a thick layer of crunchy Biscoff spread (yes- it’s vegan!), sliced banana, melted dark chocolate and even some dairy-free ice cream if you really feel like pushing the boat out.
- 375 ml milk alternative I used almond but hazelnut milk would taste amazing in these!
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
Vegan-friendly topping ideas:
- soya yogurt
- maple syrup
- sliced strawberries
- Biscoff spread
- Vegan ice-cream
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Add the milk alternative of your choice and the vanilla essence.
- Whisk until well combined and let rise for 5 minutes
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan on medium heat
- Brush the pan with oil and spoon the batter in the pan (I add 3/4 of a ladle)
- Once the edges start to come away from the pan and turn golden, flip them (carefully!) and continue to cook until done.
- Repeat with the rest of the pancake mixture, brushing the pan with a bit of oil each time.
- Add your toppings of choice and enjoy